We recently ran a poll to figure out how to increase contest participation, and we noticed many votes were for "too busy" and "lazy." Despite this, we would love to see more participation, even from you lazy/busy people.
As for those of you that like winning in all things, remember that you can't win if you don't try! We would love to see your submissions/attempts.
To help us increase your interest, we'd like to know more about your thoughts on the contests.
Please answer any or all of the following questions however you feel is best:
1. What are your comments on the contests so far?
2. Do you have any suggestions to improve future contests?
3. What kind of contests would you like to see in the future?
4. What kind of prizes would you like to have (I'll see with Lucathia what can be done)?
5. Do you think the current prizes are suitable rewards?
6. How long would you want contests to be run? When should they be announced?
After taking your suggestions, I'll create a poll so that you can all vote for what you'd like to see next.
Last Edit: Jul 9, 2019 15:32:26 GMT -8 by AkaiiRia: Sorry for the many edits...
Do not thoughtlessly tear down old walls! Were You ever the object of devotion to another heart?
1.) Mixed; I like the variety of contest subjects, but feel like the work involved for some of them may be too much or too prohibitive for people who don't want to spend much more than 15-30 min on them. I personally like the challenge of taking on contests outside of my comfort zone, but think it's better to have a lower bar of entry for more competition.
2.) It seems like the most popular ones were those that allowed for a diverse variety of creative freedom, such as the Song Lyrics contest, the LOST Poster contest, and the April Fool's contest. It might help if we have a consistent schedule/expectation for contests as well (once a quarter or every other month).
3.) Some ideas: a short story or poetry writing contest, a fill-in-the-blanks contest (taking a translated passage and replacing some 10 or 15 nouns/verbs with numbered blanks to be filled in by the contestants), a replace-the-words contest (essentially the same thing, but with the goal of changing the story to fit a particular theme/topic)
4.) Maybe an option for a short piece of fanfiction by one of the PR staff? Like a sonnet/16-line poem or an unpublished April Fool's story
5.) Yes, for a free-entry contest. I'm personally not a big fan of the art style on the official merchandise, so the forum badge and hand-written letter are incentives enough for me. Neverless, kudos to Arcedemius for her amazing artworks!
6.) A month long seems to be fair, since that's generally the rhythm of chapter updates. Announcement of the results at one week after the end of the contest would be desirable if practical.
Post by moonlightray on Jul 10, 2019 16:43:46 GMT -8
1. What are your comments on the contests so far? I think they're fun community events that helps to bring together our relatively-small fanbase. I enjoy making entries, and it's always fun to read other people's entries even when I'm unable to participate myself.
2. Do you have any suggestions to improve future contests? Personally I'm only here for LSK and FW; the other series don't really interest me and so I haven't read them. Thus, I find multi-series contests to be the most engaging and versatile. I also tend to prefer contests that focus on a particular theme (eg. Valentines Day) rather than a format (eg. Cooking Contests), since you often get entries when participants are allowed to choose the medium that they want to use, instead of being limited to one which they might not be familiar with.
3. What kind of contests would you like to see in the future? I think some kind of AU prompt would be pretty cool... For example, re-imagining certain characters as Student Council members or fairytale characters or some other set of roles, and then whoever manages to come up with the most accurate descriptions/illustrations wins the contest.
4. What kind of prizes would you like to have? I love merch! It's kinda hard to get a hold of any within my country, so these contests are a great way to earn my fix, haha~
1. I really like seeing what different people did for the contests.
2. Low to no budget required, something a lot of people can do that doesn’t require a lot of skill or experience,
3. Fill in the blank stories/comic scenes, things that involve writing or drawing, maybe cosplay or makeup inspired by Yu Wo’s novels/characters, makeup tutorials on how to get those Yu Wo novel/character look, blackout poetry using select chapter chapters of yu wo’s novels, crossover fan fics, meme contest (dunno how that’ll work but ppl like memes), making resumes for characters if they needed to apply for a job (idk I’m running out of ideas but you can be the company and the participants can pick a character and make a resume for him/her), sunspeak contest on who can rephrase a sentence you pick the best (ie: convert another character’s quote into sunspeak or convert real life phrases into sunspeak), design a hunger games plot with x characters, crossdressing fan art contest, opposite of the try-to-get-hired contest where you pick a character and try to get fired under strict conditions, idk really out of ideas I’ll mention more if I can think of any.
4. The current prizes are wonderful (the Charles and Melody paper art was very pretty)
5. They are more than enough! Forum stuff, chapter sneak peek, (hell yea if I can only win ._.) and maybe some art from PR staff art is very kind of you to offer.
6. A month sounds about right. Maybe during times where it’s less busy (oh new poll idea to find out when more people are free).
1. Often, they are something I like or appreciate, but they often landed during heavy test periods at college. More often, I forget to submit, or I don't think I have a sufficiently good idea (everyone always seems to put so much thought and effort into their submissions, I don't want to submit anything half-hearted)
2. If I had good input, I would have given it before...
3. While I enjoy cooking (thus the contests I have joined), I do like some of the ideas about word-switching. The lost poster contest was amusing, so maybe something along those lines again, maybe a contest to come up with the best movie poster for one of Yu Wo's books using the format of an existing movie, complete with title and cast list? or original ideas. I don't know.
4. I liked the key-chains, I REALLY liked the cutouts that Arcedemius made (big thanks for them, by-the-by), and I always enjoyed the audio chapters and offers for singing songs. I think self portraits from the staff, made by the staff, would be funny.
5. Oops, answered it already I guess...
6. How you have it now works, I think.
Final note: I feel like the people who are answering these questions are those who are already inclined to participate in contests. Another reason I don't participate in more contests...is I simply don't operate well on forums. They don't make much sense to me. It is hard to navigate them. So, yeah, I am lazy...
armadatw: I believe the current interface is an update to the old one; can't confirm, as that was before my time. Please do join in to the forum discussions though! They've been kind of dead in activity lately.
Jul 9, 2019 11:25:57 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: New DE game available
Jul 9, 2019 13:38:34 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: New thread created for getting your comments on previous and future contests under Yu Wo's Series category. Please check it out!
Jul 9, 2019 14:49:38 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: Sorry for the many edits on that thread that may have confused people who were reading it...
Jul 9, 2019 15:19:29 GMT -8
mocha: Where is the new forum?
Jun 18, 2020 21:03:04 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: There is no new forum.
Jul 16, 2020 17:09:35 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: However, a new contest will be held in September. We will publish the description a few days before the start of the contest.
Jul 16, 2020 17:10:36 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: Hiiiiii! Good news! New contest incoming in a few days! Sorry for the delay.
Nov 10, 2020 12:59:21 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: Contest post is up! Open submissions are from November 16 to December 31.
Nov 12, 2020 9:16:52 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: If you're signing up to the forums, you may have to wait until a staff approves your request. Please be patient.
Dec 17, 2020 21:54:16 GMT -8
hashihash: AkaiiRia Sorry, thank you! It's my first time registering in this kind of forum.
Dec 18, 2020 7:48:30 GMT -8
AkaiiRia: It's alright. It happens quite often, hence why I left this warning in the shoutbox.
Dec 18, 2020 9:58:40 GMT -8